Skip to main content
Main Content

Barrett Hall, 313 Jamestown Road, is located at the eastern intersection of Jamestown Road and Landrum Drive (formerly Old Campus Drive) at William & Mary. Named for Kate Waller Barrett, a member of the Board of Visitors from 1921-1925, it was the first building on campus named for a woman. Barrett Hall was used as a dormitory for women until becoming co-ed at the start of the 2005-2006 academic year.


Barrett Hall under construction, 1927
Built: 1926-1927
Opened: 1927
Named for: Kate Waller Barrett
Map it for me

Construction on Barrett Hall began in 1926 and ended in 1927, with an estimated cost of $212,000. The College contracted with J.T. Nuckols of Richmond, Virginia to carry out the designs of College Architect, Charles M. Robinson.

The building's layout in 1927: 12 bedrooms on first floor, 72 bedrooms on second and third floors, Parlor No. 1, first floor, east wing--17' x 30'; parlor No. 2, first floor, west wind, 17' x 30'; Literary Society Hall No. 1, first floor, east wing, 17' x 48'; YWCA and Student Government Room, first floor, west wing, 17' x 48'; student council office, first floor, west wing 17' x 17', reception room for guests, first floor, east side, 14' x 17'; 3 visitors' guest rooms, first floor 17' x 11'. Estimated cost, $212,000.


1928--J. Lesslie Hall Literary Society to have meeting room, 1927/28 (Flat Hat, 1/14/1927, 7).

1932--YWCA opens modern library in Y room, books rented for 3 cents per day (Flat Hat, 2/27/1931, 3).

1945--Chinese Room opened in west living room, presented by Mrs. Alice Aberdeen, displaying Chinese Art Objects (Flat Hat, 2/21/1945, 7).

March 1956--Chinese Room (Flat Hat)

September 1956--Chinese Room (Flat Hat)

1966--Brick wall surrounding entrance on corner Campus Drive and Jamestown Road torn down during Christmas recess (Flat Hat, 1/13/1967, 6).

1969--Chinese Room partitioned to ease housing overflow (Flat Hat, 9/12/1969, 3).


Various photographs in the University Archives Photograph Collection

1928--Colonial Echo, p. 20

1931--Colonial Echo, p. 17

1955--Colonial Echo, p. 233 (Chinese Room)

1972--Renovation, summer (Board of Visitors, Sept. 22-23, p. 400).


  • The Flat Hat
  • "Buildings and Grounds--Barrett Hall," University Archives Subject File Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William & Mary.
  • Board of Visitors Records, Special Collections Research Center, Earl Gregg Swem Library, The College of William & Mary.


Want to find out more?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for other resources to help you find materials of interest.

Questions? Have ideas or updates for articles you'd like to see? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at or 757-221-3090.

A note about the contents of this site

This website contains the best available information from known sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information in this website is not complete, and it changes as we continue to research and uncover new sources.