The William & Mary Bookstore is presently located at the corner of Prince George Street and Armistead Avenue. Previously, it occupied the corner of Duke of Gloucester and North Henry Streets. The Bookstore is run by Barnes and Noble since 2001.
Prior to 2001, it was located on Jamestown Road across from the Wren Building and next to the Campus Center, on the site of the former Morris House. In 2007, this building became home to the undergraduate Admission Office.
History of the College Bookstore and Book Selling
- 1914 - The College Bookstore sells pies, cakes and candy daily till 12 o'clock midnight.
- circa 1921-1941 - Books sold in the College Shop (on D.O.G. Street, no connection with William & Mary).
- 1922-1923 - YWCA sponsored used book sale
- 1942-circa 1950 - Books had previously been sold in the corner of the Dining Hall (Trinkle Hall).
- 1953 - Books sold in room under Taliaferro.
- circa 1958-1959 - Books sold in New Taliaferro Hall.
- 1965 - contract for $205,600 to C.Y. Jolly Co., Newport News (BofV, p. 142): To be completed by late fall; opens December 10 (Flat Hat, 12/10/1965, 4).
- 1981 - an addition onto the back of the building almost doubles the space for storage and additional offices.
- 2001 - College Bookstore at the corner of Duke of Gloucester and North Henry Streets is operated by Barnes and Noble Bookstores.
- 2021 - W&M Spirit Shop and Bookstore relocates to the Triangle Building at Prince George Street and Armistead Ave.
The Flat Hat