The Frenchman's Map is a map of Williamsburg dated May 11, 1782. It was drafted by an unknown Frenchman probably stationed with Rochambeau's army. Its marvelous detail suggests perhaps a billeting map for the French army following the Battle of Yorktown. It has been called the "Bible of the Restoration of Williamsburg" because of the detail it gives of the original buildings. It has also been used to illustrate town planning in eighteenth-century America.
The map was given to the William & Mary in 1909 by John D. Crimmins. When a descendant of Mr. Crimmins visited the Special Collections Research Center in Swem Library, where the map is held, he explained that his grandfather worked for or owned a firm which did underground excavation in New York City. His firm built the railroad tracks under Park Avenue. Crimmins often bought old New York maps so that his firm could determine where and where not to dig. He purchased a group of maps in Norfolk and upon return to New York, found the Williamsburg map tucked into the bound volume. Because it was not a New York map and because of a Custis Family connection, the map was presented to the College of William & Mary. (See memo in Special Collections Research Center dated 24 February 2000)
- In Search of the Frenchman's Map, Michael J. Lombardi, CW Journal Autumn 2007
- The Frenchman's Map, Colonial Williamsburg Past and Present Podcast