Skip to main content
Main Content
Jones Hall after construction in 1969, a three story brick building with brick sidewalks
Jones Hall
Constructed: 1968-1969
Opened: 1969
Named for: Professor Hugh Jones
Map it for me

Hugh Jones Hall, known as Jones Hall, is located on the "new campus" of William & Mary at 231 Ukrop Way between Small Hall and Morton Hall. It houses the College's Office of Information Technology and the Math Department. Jones Hall was constructed between 1968-1969 and opened for the 1969 summer session, with 25 classrooms and 60,000 square feet of space. The Computer Center was located in the basement, the Math Department on the main floor, philosophy and government on the second floor, and business administration on the third floor.

The academic building was named in honor of Rev. Hugh Jones, Professor of Natural Philosophy and Mathematics (1717-1721) on Charter Day, February 7, 1970. The School of Education replaced the Philosophy Department in 1976, which moved out of Jones Hall and into New Rogers Hall. During the summer of that same year, the second floor was renovated and additional offices, testing, and observation rooms were constructed for the School of Education. In June 2010, the School of Education vacated its quarters in Jones and moved to a newly constructed 113,000 sq. foot building located through the College Woods at the northwest edge of campus on Monticello Avenue.


Want to find out more?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for other resources to help you find materials of interest.

Questions? Have ideas or updates for articles you'd like to see? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at or 757-221-3090.

A note about the contents of this site

This website contains the best available information from known sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information in this website is not complete, and it changes as we continue to research and uncover new sources.