Skip to main content
Main Content
Three of the campus Lodges with a 1950s era cars parked out front
Lodges, 1957
Constructed: 1947-1948
Map it for me

The 11 Lodges at William & Mary were built in 1947-1948 and rented to fraternities. Located behind Zable Stadium 240 Gooch Drive, these cottage style residences were the most popular among upperclassmen and usually were the first to go during the annual housing lottery (circa 1990-2000). In April 2010, William & Mary launched a plan to convert the lodges into an Eco-Village with sustainable housing by 2015.


Each Lodge houses seven people (2 doubles and 1 triple) and are male or female by lodge. There are two bathrooms per lodge, one of which is private. Residents enjoy central location with respect to both Old and New Campus academic buildings. Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity occupies Lodge 16. The Daily Grind coffeeshop is located in another lodge. Residents of the Lodges have a living/dining area as well as a front porch and back patio and are only a few steps from the Sadler Center.

In 1994 Lodges 1, 3, 5 were demolished to make way for the new University Center, later renamed the Sadler Center.

Material in the Special Collections Research Center

  • A variety of material related to the Lodges from Swem's Special Collections has been digitized in 2011 forward with the announcement and planning for the Eco-Lodges. Search the Special Collections Database for Lodges and Fraternity House.
  • Search the W&M Digital Archive.
  • University Archives Photograph Collection, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William & Mary
  • Facilities Management Records, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William & Mary
  • Flat Hat (available online), William & Mary News(available in Swem), and the Alumni Gazette(available in Swem):
    • Board adopts plan to rent Fraternity lodges FH, 10/5/1943, pg. 1.
    • Fraternity lodges proposed AG, December 1943, pg. 12.
    • "Lodge System" established AG, March 1947, pg. 5, 36; AG, October 1948, pg. 2-3, 35.
    • Board approves site for lodges FH, 4/22/1947, pg. 1.
    • College to complete Lodge Housing project FH, 9/16/1947, pg. 1, 3.
    • Work progresses FH, 9/23/1947, pg. 1 (picture).
    • Men to choose Lodge locations FH, 5/4/1948, pg. 1.
    • Phi Alpha Lodge victim of erosion FH, 10/26/1948, pg. 2 (pictures).
    • Lodge will receive neatness prize FH, 2/15/1949, pg. 9.
    • Administration vetoes suggestion to revise Lodge rules FH, 5/3/1949, pg. 12.
    • College to improve Fraternity Terrace FH, 10/24/1950, pg. 1.
    • New property taxes levied upon lodges FH, 12/6/1949, pg. 1.
    • Excessive cost questioned AG, December 1951, pg. 7-8; AG, March 1952, pg. 5, 31.
    • Fraternity members clean up lodge are FH, 5/15/1951, pg. 12.
    • Fires on Fraternity row damage four lodges, destroy floats FH, 11/11/1958, pg. 1 (picture).
    • Sigma Pi lodge damaged in fire FH, 10/20/1959, pg. 6.
    • Fraternity Lodges once Fraternity houses FH, 2/23/1962, pg. 3, 5 (picture).
    • Evacuated for Hurricane Gloria WMN, 10/2/1985, pg. 1, 2.
    • Land for Center cleared FH, 8/30/1991, pg. 1, 5 (picture).
    • Refurbished WMN, 9/5/1996, pg. 3.
    • Lodge 16 suffers theft FH, 4/2/1999, pg. 1, 4 (picture).
    • All-night coffeehouse in the works FH, 4/9/1999, pg. 4.
    • Lodge two coffeehouse approved FH, 4/23/1999, pg. 1, 4.
    • Coffee shop still in the works FH, 9/3/1999, pg. 3.
    • Proprietor selected for Coffee Shop in Lodge 2 FH, 10/29/1999, pg. 6.
    • Coffee shop dcor 'retro' FH, 11/5/1999, pg. 2.
    • Students test blends for new coffee shop WMN, 11/30/1999, pg. 3 (picture).
    • Williamsburg Coffee and Tea offers wide variety of selections FH, 12/3/1999, pg. 1, 2 (picture).
    • Coffeehouse opening delayed FH, 2/4/2000, pg. 1 (picture).
    • Coffee, please FH, 2/18/2000, pg. 1 (picture).
    • Grind away 2/25/2000, pg. 1 (picture).
    • The Daily Grind opens WMN, 3/16/2000, pg. 3 (pictures).

In the News


Want to find out more?

To search for further material, visit the Special Collections Research Center's Search Tool List for other resources to help you find materials of interest.

Questions? Have ideas or updates for articles you'd like to see? Contact the Special Collections Research Center at or 757-221-3090.

A note about the contents of this site

This website contains the best available information from known sources at the time it was written. Unfortunately, many of the early original records of William & Mary were destroyed by fires, military occupation, and the normal effects of time. The information in this website is not complete, and it changes as we continue to research and uncover new sources.