Information about hurricanes impacting William & Mary are compiled here. This page is a stub and information is incomplete. The Virginia Institute of Marine Science is naturally always a good source of information for both the study of the impact of hurricanes as well as direct hurricane impact to its facilities including damage.
Hurricane Hazel, 1954
- The south wall of the old power plant was destroyed by Hurricane Hazel in October 1954.
Hurricane Isabel, 2004
Hurricane Ernesto, 2006
- The Great Blue Heron with Marsh Wren and Turtle sculpture in the Crim Dell went missing in September 2006 after Hurricane Ernesto went through campus and was later found at the bottom of the Crim Dell.
Hurricane Irene, 2011
Hurricane Sandy, 2012
- Activities on Sunday, October 28 canceled.
- Classes on Monday, October 29 canceled. Landfall on 10/29 in New Jersey.
Material in the Special Collections Research Center
- Search the Special Collections Database for references to hurricanes.
In the News
- "Hurricane Damage Leads to "Microburst" Research in College Woods", William & Mary News 22 January 2004; accessed 3 March 2008.
- Hurricane Irene Updates, William & Mary News 29 August 2011; accessed 29 August 2011.